There are a lot of wonderful groups on Facebook whose goal is to allow people to practice their English, and as in the case of any other group online, there are some things you need to know, especially if you’re a woman, in order to stay safe and active in the group.
1. You don’t need to put up with anything that makes you feel uncomfortable.
2. You have any right to stand your ground and respond to any harassing or offensive comments. Speak back, and report to the admin or moderators of the group.
3. As a community member, if you encounter any inappropriate irrelevant comment or behavior towards other members, offer your support, comment on that, and report to the admin/moderators. Make it a safe environment for everyone.
4. You don’t have to respond to private messages and friend requests. Feel free to ignore them if they’re unwelcome, and if they’re rude or aggressive – report and by all means block them.
5. Limit your time online. Keep in mind that while online groups and resources can be very helpful, they’re also pretty time-consuming. In addition, make sure you’re pro-active, and that you’re not just there for passive learning.
Read safety advice from Facebook: What should I do if I’m being bullied, harassed or attacked by someone on Facebook?
Join our Facebook community (and we’ll do our best to keep you safe).